Recently I had the pleasure of catching Mo Kenney’s showcase at the Great Hall in Toronto. I had a moment to chat with the lovely young songstress after the show about what she’s been doing and what she has coming up.
1) You seem to have come a long way in a short time, having released your first album only a few months ago in September. How did you get here, and what was the road like leading up to the release (i.e. how long have you been playing, writing, performing)?
I have been writing for about 7 years and playing for people only about 4 or 5 years. I had a high school band when I was 17 and playing with them allowed me to get more comfortable singing and performing for people. I only began playing solo and touring 3 years ago.
2) What was it like working with JP and having him produce your album, and subsequently tour with him?
Working with Joel was great. I have been a fan of his music since I was a teenager, so having the chance to work with him was really incredible. I feel very fortunate that he’s taken me under his wing. I’ve learned a lot from him.
3) What have your experiences at CMW been like so far?
So far my experience at CMW have been great. It’s nice to be able to play these short little showcases for people. I’ve been meeting lots of new people as well, which is always nice.
4) Who are you excited to see this week at CMW?
I’m really excited to see Rachel Sermanni. I caught almost all of her sets at Folk Alliance a few weeks ago and she was amazing. I’m also excited to catch Willie Stratton, Molly Thomason, Dylan Guthro and Carleton Stone!
5) Are you planning any shows in the Montreal area in the future?
No plans to come back to Montreal currently, but I know I will be playing there again. I was there for the first time early in the new year. I had a great show at Casa Del Popolo.
6) What’s next for you? Future goals?
I’m touring out West with Ron Sexsmith for a 7 day tour right now. I will be heading to the UK for The Great Escape festival in May and then playing some dates in Scotland. I’m also doing a lot of festivals in the summer. I’m very happy to be busy! Hoping to do some more touring in Europe sometime in the future.
Photos by Chris Zacchia for more Canadian Music Week photos check out ForgetTheBox on Facebook