I’m into my second week of a juice cleanse – nothing but fresh juice and smoothies all day, without coffee! Yes, I actually successfully let go of my daily coffee as well, my final vice, goodbye!
Juice cleanses are not easy. I feel very raw, as a lot of emotions come to the surface for healing. I also feel hungry. So let me indulge you, and myself, by sharing with you my scrumptious vegan chocolate raspberry cake recipe. This cake is just heavenly, especially with a cup of freshly brewed coffee!
Make it and have a bite for me.
Maria’s Chocolate Raspberry Cake
1 1/2 cups unbleached white flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cacao powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup grapeseed oil
1 cup chilled brewed coffee
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
Chocolate Raspberry Frosting
2 ounces (57 grams) unsweetened dark chocolate
1/4 cup fresh raspberries, mashed
3 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup confectioners’ (icing) sugar
Topping over frosting
1 cup fresh raspberries
½ cup non-dairy chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Spread coconut oil on baking dish to prevent sticking.
2. Sift flour, cacao, baking soda, salt and sugar. In another bowl, combine oil, coffee and vanilla. Pour liquid into dry, and mix until smooth.
3. Add vinegar and stir briefly; baking soda will begin to react with vinegar. Quickly pour batter into prepared pan.
4. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Allow cake to cool slightly before adding frosting.
Chocolate Raspberry Frosting:
5. In heavy saucepan, melt chocolate over low to medium heat. Once fully melted, remove from heat and stir in mashed raspberries, water and vanilla. Stir in confectioners’ sugar. Spread frosting on cooled cake.
6. Top frosting with whole raspberries and sprinkle non-dairy chocolate chips over cake.
Cookery, the most selfless of arts because it’s the least enduring. A bite or two, a little gulp, and a beautiful work of thought and love is no more. ~Sybil Ryall
Check out my new Facebook page where I give a vegan recipe per day, and lots of health and nutrition tips.