In 2015, Montreal Mayor Denis Coderre announced that the concert space on the western end of Parc Jean-Drapeau on Île Sainte-Hélène is getting a redesign. The municipal and provincial government will invest a total of $73 million to expand the space used by promoter Evenko to stage events like Osheaga, Heavy Montréal and ÎleSoniq every summer.
While originally planned for Montreal’s 375th anniversary, it won’t be ready until next year. This means Osheaga will have a new home for the summer and Heavy Montréal will take a year off.
Capacity would increase from 45 000 to 65 000, though it will remain an open-air ampitheatre. At the time of the original announcement, the Mayor assured people that some of the budget would be spent on reducing the sound that made its way across the water to the South Shore where St-Lambert residents had been filing noise complaints for a few summers. This would presumably mean that Evenko could stage more concerts in the space.
This week, the environmental impact of the project went public. 1000 trees will have to be cut down to make it possible. While Coderre promised $18 million to plant new trees, Projet Montreal, the official opposition party in City Hall, is not happy to say the least.
Calling it a “chainsaw massacre” of Montreal’s shared greenspace to benefit one private promoter, they argued that a more environmentally-friendly version should have been considered. They also decried the lack of public consultation on the project.
With so many issues at play here, we decided to turn to you, our readers and not just make it a straight Yes or No question. In this poll, please let us know whether or not you support this project and why. If none of the answers fit what you think, you can add your own:
- Any plan of this scope needs public consultation. Period. 30%, 25 votes25 votes 30%25 votes - 30% of all votes
- Bad idea through and through 30%, 25 votes25 votes 30%25 votes - 30% of all votes
- I like the idea of a new ampitheatre but cutting down that many trees is unjustifiable 14%, 12 votes12 votes 14%12 votes - 14% of all votes
- The area was in great need of repairs and a place able to welcome all the events happening an the Parc.* 10%, 8 votes8 votes 10%8 votes - 10% of all votes
- The old concert space was fine and doesn't need to change 8%, 7 votes7 votes 8%7 votes - 8% of all votes
- We need a new ampitheatre and this is the right way to make it happen 6%, 5 votes5 votes 6%5 votes - 6% of all votes
- I don't care (well, I care enough to answer the poll, but that's it) 1%, 1 vote1 vote 1%1 vote - 1% of all votes
- I live in St-Lambert (or have friends who live there) and am fine with any plan that curbs the noise 0%, 0 votes0 votes0 votes - 0% of all votes