I created these cute, triple chocolate coconut cupcakes for a friend’s birthday celebration not too long ago and they were a huge hit! Again and again, people are wowed at how delicious vegan recipes can be. I’m always so pleased to explain that vegans can do anything in the kitchen, just like non-vegans, without the use of any animal-derived ingredients. If we can reduce the suffering of other beings by not consuming them, then why not?
For this recipe I chose to combine two of my favorite things: cacao and coconut. I adore the combination, but if for some reason you would rather no coconut at all, this recipe works just fine without the flakes and by substituting the coconut water with just plain water. You can also sprinkle your favorite chopped nuts on the cupcakes, like pecans or walnuts for example, instead of the coconut.
Join me in pure taste decadence and marvel at how superb and easy vegan recipes can be.
Maria’s Triple Chocolate Coconut Cupcakes
Makes approximately 12 cupcakes
1 ½ cups unbleached white flour
1 cup raw cane sugar
⅓ cup cacao powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon sea salt
½ cup grapeseed oil
1 cup coconut water
2 teaspoons unsweetened coconut flakes
2 teaspoons non-dairy chocolate chips
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 ¾ cups confectioners’ (icing) sugar
¼ cup cacao powder
1 cup vegan butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-2 teaspoons water
Topping over frosting:
Unsweetened shredded coconut
Non-dairy chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line cupcake pan with parchment cups.
2. Sift flour, cacao, baking soda, salt, coconut and sugar. In another bowl, combine oil, coconut water and vanilla. Pour liquid ingredients into dry, and mix until smooth.
3. Add vinegar and stir briefly. Quickly spoon batter into cupcake pan.
4. Bake for 20 minutes, or until toothpick test comes out dry. Allow muffins to cool completely before adding frosting. It’s best to refrigerate them for a couple of hours once they are cool and then add frosting later. Sprinkle chocolate chips and coconut flakes overtop. Serve.
5. Combine all frosting ingredients in a large bowl, starting with only one teaspoon of water. With a handheld cake mixer, whip until smooth and creamy, but firm. If mixture is too powdery, add extra teaspoon of water.
6. Add frosting to cupcakes once they have fully cooled using cake decorating kit. Top frosting with coconut flakes and chocolate chips.
Right now three things remain: faith, hope, and love. But the greatest of these is love. 1 Corinthians 13:13, The Bible, International Standard Version
Join me on my new Facebook page where I share delicious vegan recipes everyday and a ton of health-related information!